Monday, October 31, 2005

Fools in love, are there any creatures more pathetic?


Yesterday evening I watched some of the best television currently on offer: West Wing, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. A tour de force of drama, intrigue, comedy and romance. Yes, West Wing was better before they decided to focus on all of the people not in the White House (and Josh and Donna used to like to be in the same room). Indeed, the events on Wisteria Lane could be written better. But it's a fun night to relax, reconnect with friends, do a little cooking, cleaning or typing and escape--particularly to Seatle where intelligent/funny/good-looking hospital interns are the norm, a weekly blog-like voice over imparts wisdom for life and the OR and Dr. McDreamy may or may not make "right" decision and choose Meredith over his wife.
I spent the hour kidding myself. Dr. Sheppard made his choice, and as Meredith cried, "We can't just abandon her!" over and over again I began to wonder what it is about these characters and plots that I am willing to torment myself over (as do 85% of veiwers).
If I were ever asked, I might want to suggest that television producers stop tormenting the hearts of fans and young romantics with their drawn-out ill-fated relationship story lines. We're all waiting for that moment the two characters finally realize what we all know. The season and a half Pacey and Joey spent in each other's arms were the best Dawson's Creek had to offer (an opinion validated by the Series Finale); Ross and Rachel should have found happiness long before her impending trip to Paris--after all, they had a child together before their cathartic reunion; Dr. Ross and Nurse Calloway (ER--they had twins before he left and she "joined" him a season later), Harmon Rabb and Catherine MacKenzie (JAG--9 years, 3 or 4 other fiances and too many court room battles later), Zack and Kelly (Saved by the Bell)-- all of their romances were dragged out over years of my life. I can't get that back!
But I digress.
I would never actually want my favorite stories to rapidly resolve their central conflict. I know full well that, for yours truly, these are the very story lines I tune in to watch. I enjoy the other parts of the show as well, but these very primal and common stories are the ones that have held my attention for years.

At the end of the day faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don't really expect it. It's like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it's not so important happy ever after, just that its happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you , and once in a while people may even take your breath away. ~Dr. Meredith Grey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home