Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fido alerts upon the locker


September's like summer,
But the nights are like fall
Tell me your fall stories
~Girlyman, Fall Stories

October is upon us, more quickly than I expected. No longer are we "getting into the swing of things." No, no: we are, indeed, swinging. Work comes in work goes out. I never really feel as though I am actually caught up... and then more work comes in. It's a cycle, like most things.
I used to say that I hated the autumn because I am a fan of definates. Spring and fall always seemed like indecisive seasons-- the kind that make planning your wardrobe and activities uber-difficult. Now, I look forward to this time of year. Even though time seems to be speeding up and the "to do" list continues to get longer, fall offers me the chance to go out for one more lazy afternoon walk before it is too cold/snowy/icy. The leaves really are as beautiful as people say they are--I just have to take the time to look up. And there is that distinctive fall smell--some combination of dried leaves, moss, wool and spice.
This is not to suggest that I have begun to romanticize the change in season beyond reason. My climate control doesn't do what it should: control the climate. I go to bed too hot and wake up far too cold. My skin has gotten scratchy and dry, as though the baseboard heating had been turned on (it hasn't) and I'll have to refill my allergy medicine soon. My hair is begging for some TLC and has begun of shedding and building a "winter coat" (a process left over from our days of true mammeldom when we lived outside, ate berries and killed things with clubs). The season definately has its downers... but not so many as to make it completely unenjoyable.
The "spirit" of the holidays has hit early this year. I am already excited about the get togethers and reunions of the next three months. I'm slowly finding ways to weave my own memories and traditions into my current life. I'm even excited about Halloween: trick-or-treaters, pumpkins, decorating, haunted houses, scary movies.... not a bad list for someone who genrally loathes All Hallows Eve.
As my life changes (be it in location, career, relationships or any other of a myriad of possibilities) I'm finding that it is the friendships, family, celebrations and traditions that help to hold it together. At a time when everything is new, it is comforting to find familiarity. And when you can't find it, sometimes you can create it.
October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. ~Nova Bair

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home