Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bracelets are the new ribbons

Two years ago, I recall sitting at my godmother's table discussing various guest speakers who work the college circuit. After I mentioned I had recently finished both of Lance Armstrong's auto-biographies, my godmother commented how wonderful it would be to have him speak in most any community. "After all," she said, "his story is very motivational and those bracelets are so popular with the kids." Not wanting to seem out-of-the-loop, I nodded, but I had no idea what she was talking about.
Needless to say, I have never seen Mr.Armstrong, let alone heard him speak. But I have seen (and owned) a yellow LIVESTRONG bracelet and watched as more and more organizations have used the "silicone wristbands" to advertise their causes. Rather then red ribbons for AIDS awareness or the ubiquitous pink ribbon associated with breast cancer, we wear our support on our sleeves/arms. And, because the bracelets are so inexpensive to make, a great deal of fund-raising has been done as well.
What do we make of multiple bracelet wearers? Are they people with a tragic life stories, big hearts or a propensity for plastic? And clothing/accessory companies started pushing generic wristbands. Why? So we could fake our humanity (less messy)? Look like everyone else? Probably the latter....
I could never bring myself to wear my own yellow bracelet (instead I used it as a key chain until it broke). It didn't match anything! But--more importantly--it made me uncomfortable. Was the bracelet to show that I supported victims of testicular cancer or that I read this month's issue of InStyle? Losing family, surviving disease, overcoming adversity, donating to charity-- these things have always seemed very private to me (I seldom wear the t-shirts gathered from the fundraiser walks/relays/marathons that I have participated in or volunteered at for the same reason). Ribbons were unobstrusive-- a quiet, silent reminder. With the bracelet, it's always right there: loud and proud.

Where is this going? While I can't bring myself to actually wear a bracelet, a good cause is a good cause. If you don't happen to have Magnolia's in the backyard, are able to make a small donation or want one of a new generation of bracelets-- head on over to Renew New Orleans Foundation.
America's most unique city, with all its old charm and tale-telling mystique, the city that has endeared itself to millions throughout the world, has been tragically destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. The loss of New Orleans is a loss for the entire world. New Orleans should, must, and will rebuild this place in history that has been affectionately called the "age-old melting pot of the world."
RENEW NEW ORLEANS is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization established by several natives of the Big Easy who are prominent business leaders around the country. Renew New Orleans wants you to be part of this massive, worldwide rebuilding effort by purchasing and wearing a distinguishable bracelet highlighted by the traditional purple, green, and gold Mardi Gras colors.

The objective of the Foundation is to raise funds for local New Orleans non-profits to be used to enhance the quality of life for all citizens of New Orleans, especially children and the disadvantaged. All proceeds from Renew New Orleans’ fundraising activities are donated to charities that support the renewal of New Orleans as a safe, vibrant and thriving city. Contributions will be made to charities that enhance life through education, health, human services, arts, culture and humanities.
For my part, I need a new key-chain--and a brown ribbon on my jacket.

1 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

ugh. don't get me started on charity bracelets. you are dead on. there is a fine fine line between being authentic and being trendy. i've seen people who wear as many wristbands as they can on both wrists, because it seems cool. i don't buy it. they might be raising money for charity, but in my opinon, they are cheapening the cause.

if you choose to wear a bracelet for a cause you believe in, then please pick one and do so. but more importantly, please believe it.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home