Wednesday, February 14, 2007

You make me smile with my heart

Snow magnified:


Pretty, no?


Having 1)Watched NBC's Today this morning, 2) Looked out my picture windows and 3) Come up the hill to get into the office I can will all certainty report the following: It is snowing. Alot.
I moved to New England knowing full well that snow was to become a more premenant fixture in my life. Rather than the 2 inch fall - melt the next day cycle I had grown accustomed to, snow in New England has staying power. And, people greet it with less fear and far less glee than the good people of Maryland (unless they are avid skiers, in which case the fresh power and desperate mid-week specials of the local trail makers has undoubtably made this a Wednesday to remember for some New Englandites). Life does not stop for snow.
While interviewing, I asked if the campus ever closed for weather. "I don't think we've had a snow day in 15 years," was the response. I asked the same question a few weeks ago as I was blown across campus to a rather important meeting. "No, we don't close for weather."
Today, the campus is closed due to the inclement weather and prediction of worsening conditions.
Maybe I've made New Englad wussier. I hope not.
I, myself, am not granted a full snow day because I live where I work and someone has to make sure that everyone is safe, comfortable and healthy. It's part of the deal. And I don't really mind it.
That's not to say that I didn't lie in bed for 10 minutes or so in the early morning watching the white fall and planning a day full of cleaning, laundry, reading and hot chocolate. And I might still get some of that... it's just on a few hours delay.

Interestingly, I almost forgot that it's Valentine's Day. Perhaps this will sound naive to some (or wise to others) but I think I've made my peace with this Hallmarky celebration of romantic bliss (or Singles Awareness Day as I've recently heard it renamed). My feelings are generally summarized over at Yarn Harlot and as she's a professional writer, I'm gonna say "ditto" to that and move on.


So, meetings continue, snow falls, and Keifer is waiting for me in my mailbox. Now, if I could only convince my charges that they would be much happier hunkering in and reading a book for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home