Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I have a full life of my own. I have lizards.



The past few days I have been constantly amazed at how very busy I am. Somehow, while taking three classes and fulling the obligations of my graduate assistantship I managed to find time to goof-off, watch tv, procrastinate, catch up with friends, etc. That time is gone-- my multi-colored calander tells me that I will (again) be home for a mere two hours between now and 9:00 tonight. I will have to tape Chrismakkah Bar Mitzvakkah (in all it's wonderful glory). I will probably stay up too late knitting Christmas sweater ornaments (cause I'm a dork). Tomorrow I'll be up at 7 (barring any natural catastrophe) to do it all again.
I wonder where the time I used to do classwork/slack off has gone. But, strangely enough, I like being this busy. I get sooo much more accomplished than the average bear. And I do it in style.
With the arrival of the holidays (whichever you are partial too... I think Christmakkah might be the most genius idea of secular-America. Ever.) there is also the arrival of things you never thought you needed. I am generally of the "less is more" mentality in my housekeeping and decorating, so the arrival of new things sends me into a bit of a frenzy. What will this thing replace? Is it okay if it doesn't replace anything. Is is going to offend someone if I do not keep the gift in my home (because there is no place for it, no need for it, I already have two, etc.)? Is this one of those gifts that the gifter will expect to see displayed in my home or on me? What's the polite way to receive a "way off base" gift? These questions, and others, flutter about my head mainly because space is a tight commodity in my home and suitcase.
Of course, this is the point in the blog that I have to note that the practicality of the gift and its usage aren't really the point. We present each other with presents as a token of our love and friendship; to celebrate and commemorate how very blessed we are. Whatever your faith (however you roll) gratitude translates universally. And there is always room for celebration and thanksgiving, no matter how small your home.
That was a bit more 7th Heaven than I intended... but I meant it.
So, I suppose at the end of the day, the "new stuff" crisis really pales in comparison to the truer meaning of the season. Gifts can be returned, given away (not re-gifted (that's like lying), but handed over to someone who can use them). And there's nothing better than knowing your cared for.
I leave you with the words of one, Seth Cohen:
You can't ruin Chrismukkah. It's got twice the resistance of any normal holiday. I've got Jesus and Moses on my side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home